Objective: To support the Scouting mission and programs by acting as the head cook of the residential camping programs at Everton Scout Camp. The Head Cook is responsible for the planning, organizing, ordering the food for camp meals and working with the Assistant Cooks in the preparing and serving of nutritious meals and sanitation of the building. At times, the Head Cook will need to work with campers in a 1-on- 1 or group setting.
Reporting to: Camp Director or Designate
Dates of employment: Everton Summer Programs 2018 will run the following weeks
- July 1st – 6th
- July 8th– 13th
- July 15th – 20th
- July 22nd – 27th
- July 29th – August 3rd
- August 12th – 17th
Camp Staff will be required to attend a training date to be determined.
- Working with the Camp Director; plan camp meals, place food orders, purchase food and organize food deliveries.
- Plan nutritious meals and snacks for each day of camp.
- Manage all administrative and human-resources functions with regard to the kitchen.
- Plan, coordinate, schedule and supervise kitchen staff.
- Supervise and assist Kitchen Assistants in the following daily operations of the camp food service
- Prepare and cook food as the menu indicates.
- Prepare foods including washing and peeling.
- Bake pastries, muffins, etc. as needed (guest night, birthdays)
- Set up food, supplies, utensils and wash stations for dining hall.
- Supervise and assist Kitchen Assistants in daily sanitization and cleaning duties of building.
- Ensure main camp building is cleaned daily, collect garbages, washrooms cleaned, common areas swept and mopped, dining hall and kitchen swept and mopped.
- Coordinate and schedule kitchen staff for daily cleaning duties.
- Ensure that all kitchen staff know all of the rules and regulations of camp.
- Support other camp programs and activities by coordinating kitchen programs with other camp programs.
- Support other camp programs by participating in camp activities when otherwise not engaged in kitchen duties.
- Ensure full compliance to all applicable risk management policies and procedures by program participants, volunteers and employees.
- Provide opening inventory at beginning of summer, closing inventory at end of summer, and final report at the end of camp.
- Supervise and work with campers in groups or 1-on- 1 as directed.
- Other duties as assigned by the camp management.
- Knowledge and experience in food service, ordering, inventory, budgeting, food preparation, food storage, using and cleaning kitchen equipment
- Ability to work with management with minimal supervision
- Must hold safe food handling certifications
- Standard First Aid and CPR
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Must be willing to become a member of Scouts Canada and to submit to a screening process. A police record check is required for staff 18 years of age and older.
- Must be willing to abide by the Mission and Principles of Scouting
- Head Cook will receive accommodation and will be required to remain on-site at camp for the duration of their employment.
- One day off per week will be provided, commencing Friday evening until Sunday morning.
- Head Cook will receive all meals at camp during the camp’s operational periods.
How to Apply: Please send a completed application, along with a resume either by email or mail to:
Heather Bender, Camp Director 558 Glendene Cres.
Waterloo, ON, N2L 4P4